From the time of his historic expedition to Nanda Devi in the highHimalaya, Charles Houston, M.D., has asked: Why do people get sick in the mountains? What are the symptoms of hypoxia - lack of sufficent oxygen - that also occurs in everyday life, due to injury or disease? How can we best prevent, diagnose, and treat it? Houston answers these questions in an engaging, comprehensible style.
- Interweaves fascinating research discoveries with dramatic first-person accounts
- New chapters on vision and the eye at altitude and chronic and subacute altitude illness
- More on work and athletic training at altitude
- New material on the genetics of high altitude and individual susceptibility
- Updated information on fitness and gender issues
- Current developments in understanding and treating sea-level hypoxic illnesses